Visiting Komodo National Park can be new experience and a refresh for your getaway ritual. You can still have some perks of travelling in an exotic island. However, this place offers more. This is the only place where you can meet Komodo Dragons, the ancient, lethal creatures. If you are adrenaline junky and seek for adventure, this place is just perfect for you. Where else can you see deathly animals in close distance?
Understanding your safety when you are in Komodo National Park
Komodo Dragons are wild and lethal animals. You cannot just carelessly pat their head or feed them. They will bite you off even before you can do any of it. You cannot even get too close to them. Wrong moves then you may get attacked. Remember that these creatures have deathly tongue not only teeth. Komodo Dragons are obviously not herbivores. They are predators so even if you seek for the thrill, you still need to be cautious of your own safety. Here are some tips for you to stay safe during your travel in Komodo National Park:
- You need to report your arrival to the komodo National Park office. Then, you will be able to explore the area when you have ranger to guide you. The rangers play important part of your journey in the island. They are the one to make sure the visitors, locals, and Komodo safety. You need to follow their suggestions throughout your trip. They usually bring safety stick with Y-shape to keep the distance with the Komodo. If they attack, the rangers use the stick to hold their necks and mouth.
- Don’t bring too much stuffs during your trip on the island such as plastic bags, backpack, camera bags, etc. If you drop it accidently, The Komodo may think it is food for them because the rangers feed them by throwing the foods to the ground. Make sure to be five meters away from the Komodo.
- If you have open wound on your body, or are in period/menstruating (for women), you need to tell your condition the rangers beforehand. If you are in one of those condition, you need to stick with the rangers throughout the trip. This is because Komodo Dragons can smell blood very well which attract them.
- When you are around Komodo, make sure to not move around because it can provoke them. If you want to take pictures, make sure to not too close either. Keep your distance at least 2-3 meters away. You also need to be quiet and always in group. It is more recommended to not use any perfume.
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothes during your trip. Thus, you will be easy to move here and there without restriction. Just in case of emergency, you need to be able to run freely without any obstacles coming from your own clothes. If the Komodo try to catch you, run in zigzag and go to higher places but don’t climb the trees since young Komodo like to roost on them.